Whether it’s holding hands while attempting to ice skate or cozying up together in front of a crackling fireplace, dating during the winter holidays can feel extra romantic—but it can also look slightly different to coupling up during the rest of the year. To help navigate these differences we’ve put together a list of tips and conversation starters that are sure to get you making the most of dating during the holiday season.
Switch on Travel
If you’re heading back to your hometown or visiting a new city for the holidays, activate Travel mode on your Bumble profile so you can be shown to folks wherever you’re going, ahead of time! (Here’s exactly how to turn Travel mode on.) You can get to know new matches beforehand, and be ready to set up a date for when you arrive. It’s a great way to find a “plus one” to a holiday party, meet someone to explore the city with, or just make a new connection.
Don’t Expect Instant Replies
Schedules get filled up quickly during the holiday season, and with gift buying, travel planning, and family gatherings on people’s minds, sometimes there isn’t room for much else. So if you’re not getting responses, or folks are slow to reply, don’t sweat it! It’s not likely to be personal and you may be experiencing the exact same thing. Make fun plans for yourself and loved ones so you’re not waiting for your phone to light up.
Be Respectful of People’s Beliefs
It’s important when dating during this time to be aware that people may not be celebrating the same holiday as you. Instead of asking “What are you doing for Christmas this year?” ask your match, “How are you celebrating the holidays this year?” It’s an inclusive way of connecting with your match and shows that you value their traditions—whatever they may be.
Make the First Move Festive
Travel mode switched on? Someone’s profile caught your eye? Made an exciting match? We’ve put together a list of opening lines to get your match in the spirit of the season.
- If you could only listen to one festive song for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
- What’s your favorite holiday tradition?
- What was the best gift you were given over the holidays as a child?
- What’s your favorite holiday movie? I need recs!
- Holiday sides: mashed potatoes or stuffing?
- I think this tells a lot about a person: do you buy holiday gifts in advance or at the very last minute?
- Crucial question: pumpkin pie or pecan pie?
- Hey! Love the travel pics on your profile. Have you got any winter vacation plans?